“This uniquely sensitive portrait of bright young people at a galvanizing stage of their lives, whose cultural pride is informed by a continually uneasy relationship with mainstream American culture is a timely look at the ways that young people are helping to shape our political future.”- Jon Dieringer, Director, “The Flaherty Series”
“One of Young Lakota’s most powerful take-away lessons is the importance of holding up the grassroots work of communities typically underrepresented in the mainstream face of a movement—a lesson the feminist and reproductive rights movement can always revisit.” — Sara Alcid, The Huffington Post
“The film presents an intimate look at life “on the Rez,” that also serves as a compelling microcosm of the country’s culture wars and the struggle for women’s rights…Full of small-scale political infighting and intrigue, it’s like a rough-hewn, lo fi The Ides of March—yet instead of Ryan Gosling, there’s an equally charismatic Native American woman fighting for her political survival.” —Anthony Kaufman, Sundance Now
“At a time when there are few films about Natives and the challenges their nations face, filmmakers Marion Lipschutz and Rose Rosenblatt illustrate the agency with which the people highlighted in the film come to their own conclusions…It’s a rare glimpse into Pine Ridge that celebrates the resistance and complexity of the Oglala Lakota who live there.” —Aura Bogado, The Nation
Written Coverage of Young Lakota
- Carly Gillis, “Are You Ready To See A Bunch Of Bad-Ass Women Make History On A Native American Reservation?” Upworthy, 2/25/2014.
- Aura Bogado, “‘Young Lakota’: Reproductive Justice and Coming of Age on the Rez,” The Nation, 11/29/13.
- Anthony Kaufman, “Docutopia: Giving Thanks for Young Lakota and PBS’s Native American Docs” Sundance Blog, 11/27/13.
- Sara Alcid, “Talking Reproductive Justice and Feminism with Young Lakota’s Sunny Clifford,” Huffington Post, 11/26/13.
- Jamilah King, “‘Young Lakota’ to Premiere Tonight on PBS, Follows Abortion on the Rez,” Colorlines, 11/25/13.
- Dirk Lammers, “PBS Documentary features 3 Young Lakota,” The Sacramento Bee, 11/25/13.
- Christina Rose, “‘Young Lakota’ Focuses on a Woman’s Right to Choose, Premieres on PBS” Indian Country Today, 11/23/13.
- Shannon Iggy, “Premiering on PBS: Young Lakota”, Bust Magazine, 11/22/13.
- Molly Barari, “The Awakening: Sunny Clifford saw a different side of life on the reservation, a view documented in the PBS film ‘Young Lakota,’” Rapid City Journal, 11/17/13.
- Juliana Brittos, “New documentary Young Lakota about lack of abortion access on a reservation,” Feministing.
- Nathan Puhl, “Independent Lens: Young Lakota,” South Dakota Public Radio, “Dakota Midday”, 11/22/13.
- Melissa McGlensey, “Keep your white hands off my brown body,” Ms. Magazine Blog, 11/1/13.
- Eisa Ulen, “Young Lakota Activist Campaigns to Make Plan B Available, Affordable to Native Women,” Huffington Post, 7/20/12.